Service History of 61-0908
- Delivered: August 17, 1962 – To 3525th PTW (Air Training Command) Williams AFB, AZ
- Jan 1974 – To 82nd FTW (ATC), Kirtland AFB NM
- July 1975 – To AF Special Weapons Center (AF Systems Command) Kirtland AFB, NM
- May 1976 – To 71st FTW (ATC) Vance AFB, OK
- Apr 1979 – To 12th FTW (ATC) Randolph AFB TX
- Dec 1980 – To 47th FTW (ATC), Laughlin AFB TX
- July 1992 – To Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
This is the first supersonic trainer for the USAF. The T-38’s high performance and low maintenance made it a practical replacement for the T-33.
The T-38 is a streamlined, high altitude, twin engine, low swept wing aircraft with tricycle landing gear. Student and instructor sit tandem in a pressurized, air conditioned cockpit for night, aerobatics, formation, navigation and instrument training.
T-38’s are used today by many organizations, NASA for chase and observation, the USAF for test pilot, flight test engineers and experimental electrical and weapons systems and also to prepare pilots for fighter jets.
In 1961-62 Jacqueline Cochran set eight performance and four time-to-climb records in the T-38. The famous Thunderbirds flew Talons from 1974-82 and found them safe and economical, five T-38s used the same fuel as one F-4.
Obtained by Yanks in October of 2001.