The American Eagle Aircraft Corp. was started in 1925 by Ed Porterfield in order to build an aircraft capable of withstanding the demands of the student pilot. He enlisted the expertise of Waverly Stearman to design the “Eagle” (ATC #17) as a very capable replacement for the time worn but loyal “Jennys” and “Standards” currently under operation at the Porterfield Flying School.
The A-1’s construction was typical, welded chrome-moly steel tubing, spruce spars and a fabric covering. The engine cowling featured a finish known as “engine turning” made popular by the “Spirit of Saint Louis.”
Business was booming by 1928 with the factory turning out twelve planes a week, at a sale price of $2,815.00. An American Eagle dealership was offered to the first buyer in the region, so it was not uncommon for a new owner to proudly display a “Dealer” sign.
This aircraft was acquired by Yanks in 2000.