Piper (1881-1970) was an early advocate of the use of light planes by the military services.
He established the Piper Aircraft Corporation in 1937 and by 1940 Piper dominated the light plane field. His most popular aircraft, the Piper Cub, originally cost only $1,325 with free flying lessons.
In February, 1941, he proposed to the War Department that light planes be employed to control troop movements, scout, patrol, the dropping of bombs and torpedoes, ferry personnel and messages, and to be used for blind flying training.
Throughout World War II, more than 5,000 Piper Cubs were used in training, observation, artillery-spotting, patrol and ambulance roles, and served in every campaign on every front.
After World War II, he added various lines of the Cub to the military, corporate and general aviation fields.